Tuesday 26 August 2014

Attack Mode

The simplest of pleasures, like a day out with family, can turn quickly into a disaster if you don't have your eye on the ball, ESPECIALLY of your child has autism.

We took a nice family trip to the science museum today. There was a new, outdoor, section called the "science garden" with lots of lovely interactive features. One area had a water feature where you could race plastic ducks. My son was obsessed with it.

We were busy looking at a water wheel and I thought that my son was right by us, but unbeknownst to me, he had wandered off back to the ducks.

At that moment I heard and almighty scream! I turned around to see my son yelling at the top of his voice because a kid had squirted water at him. Not only that but the kid and his whole family were laughing at my sons extreme reaction.

He didn't take well to being laughed at and gave and almighty roar before launching himself at the laughing family, teeth bared and fists flailing.

Luckily we managed to grab him before he thumped someone.

Unfortunately, wherever you go, there will always be inconsiderate IDIOTS who spoil the fun. A simple apology from the child would have prevented things from escalating, but no, they have to point and laugh, don't they?

And as for my son? He's got to learn that people can be like that sometimes. He has got to stop overreacting. He needs to control himself better. It is going to take time. But if he doesn't learn this important skill, life is going to be tough. You can't go round hitting everyone who upsets you, even if you feel like it...

And me? Well, I need eyes in the back of my head, but I doubt if even the science museum can provide me with those.

No comments:

Post a Comment